Saturday 28 March 2015

The Beginning.

My name's Joe, and I'm an idiot.

I'm an idiot because I spent the first six years of my life as a record nerd blatantly ignoring hip-hop. I'm not sure what led me to avoid the genre, but I did. I devoted all my time and energy to alternative rock and never gave hip-hop a look in.

I have a cursory - and I mean cursory - knowledge of the genre. I know and like Snoop Dogg, Earl Sweatshirt, Drake, Tyler the Creator and Kanye. I am a recently converted Kendrick Lamar devotee. I like Public Enemy. I know who Ice Cube is, but only because I saw (and hated) Ghosts of Mars. And to be honest with you, when I first wrote that sentence I wrote Ice-T instead of Ice Cube. So that should show you how much of an idiot I am.

I don't like Eminem. Or at least, I think I don't like Eminem, because I've only heard two of his songs.

I know who A Tribe Called Quest are, but I've never listened to a single one of their songs. Same goes for NWA, NAS, and (perhaps most heinously of all) Tupac. I know of the Notorious B.I.G., the Wu-Tang Clan and...and...

To be honest, that's all that I can think of off the top of my head. I write for a music site called Renowned For Sound, and during my time there I've learnt a little bit more. I did some research, so I feel vaguely confident writing about hip hop these days. I learnt that mainstream critics tend to shit on a lot of rap. I learnt that Drake is memeable, but Snoop Dogg is more so. I learnt that hip hop can be intelligent, and nuanced, and exciting.

But to be honest, researching rap has only taught me that there's so much I don't know.

My name's Joe, and I'm an idiot. And I need your help.

This blog is going to be dedicated to my burgeoning hip hop knowledge. Through this blog, I want to listen to the all-time great rap albums that I missed out on. I want to have an adventure, and I know that is easily one of the nerdiest, lamest sentences I have yet written, but it's true. I want to discover more about hip-hop.

I want you to recommend me the greatest. I want you to recommend me the worst. I want you to teach me. I want you to help me fill in this massive gaping hole (how's that for some gross mental imagery?) and I want you to do it soon.

So, let's get started. Give me some suggestions, and I'll get on them. I'll write up reviews of albums here; I'll tell you what I think; I'll tell you what I've learnt. This blog will document the journey of one very dumb, very nerdy man's journey through hip-hop. And yep, again, that sentence makes me sound like the straightest of the straight. But it's the truth.

Help me, guys.

1 comment:

  1. We can really appreciate you being honest and courage enough to explore new and different cultures. First things first, you should know there's a difference between Rap (Commercial Industry Music), and Hip-Hop (Culture). If you would like to understand Hip-Hop it doesn't start with just the music. You have you look at the Graffiti (Keith Harring), DJing (Grandmaster Flash), Dancing (Crazy Legs), Fashion (Adidas), MCing (Talib Kweli), Slang (E-40). Rappers mainly wouldn't do it without a check. Most MC's you can't pay not to bust a freestyle. Check out Beastie Boys: License to ill, Kanye West: College Dropout, The Roots, The Ghetto Boys, NWA, Look up "The Message", The Pharcyde, OutKast, Common, etc. These should get you started. Your not an idiot.. Movies like Crush Grove, Beat Street, etc.. (8 mile) Swing by Themixtapestash.com to catch hip-hop news, we also give upcoming MC's a chance to shine. #GoodLuck #Peace #HipHopForever

    ReplyDelete